“I am not sure where to find free photos online. Any suggestions?”
Had enough free photos from over-used stock photo sites that only offer stick figures and cut-out images of fruit? If you are looking for high-quality, royalty-free photos to illustrate your website or blog then you need to check out this article. We also provide a step-by-step guide on how to do a reverse image search in Google.
List of Resources for High Quality, Royalty-Free Photos
- Unsplash.com Offers a wide verity of full-size photos! Incredible quality for websites.
- Pixabay.com Choose photos marked: CC0 Public Domain for free use.
- Freedigitalphotos.net You may only be able to access smaller versions of photos for free on Free Digital Photos and you have to attribute the work.
- Thestocks.im Numerous photos available from different photographers. Read the fine print to know each one’s individual usage rules.
- Deathtothestockphoto.com You have to sign up to receive their images.
- Creativecommons.org The place to find photos marked as available for reuse by their creators.
- Freefoodphotos.com Looking for food photos? This website is perfect and constantly being updated.
- Flickr.com Yes Flickr, however you have to search in their creative commons section (link provided) to find royalty-free photos.
How to Find Free Photos in Google
- Conduct an image search in Google, lets search for “watermelon” for example
- In order to know which of these photos are authorized for reuse click on “Search Tools” and then “Usage Rights“
- Choose “Labeled for reuse” if you would like to use the photos or “Labeled for reuse with modification” if you need to use and modify the photo. Google will sort all the photos so you can choose the type of usage right you need.
Reverse Image Search in Google
If you have found a photo you really like and are not sure if you can use it, one way to find out is to conduct a reverse image search in Google.
- Go to https://images.google.com
- Click on the camera to search by image
- Upload an image or past the image URL
- Hit enter. Google images will search for similar photos.
- f you would like to know about the usage rights on the photo, follow the steps in the above guide “Step-by-Step Guide: How to Find Free Photos in Google.”
A Few Recommendations
- If you are not sure, contact the photographer and ask if you can use their photo.
- Always remember to quote your sources.
- Always double check to make sure you have the right to use the photos you are sharing.
have any questions or need a hand?